Sunday, March 1, 2009

Social Networking Paradigm

I've caved in... I've finally joined Facebook. It's something that I've been avoiding for a long time now. I just haven't been very interested in online "social networking". I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There are some wonderful people from my past that I'm sure I will be ecstatic about reconnecting with... But there are also some others that I don't really need to get back in touch with. Not because they are bad people or because we had some sort of falling out... but because I just don't need to know what is going on in their life on a day-to-day basis, and I don't think they need to know about mine (funny how I'm writing all of this on a very public blog!). Maybe it's just the language that these online networking tools use that bothers me. Just because we sat next to each other in a lab 5 years ago doesn't make us "friends". When I think about my real friends (the one's who are typically forced to listen to these sorts of rants on the phone or in person) I think about people that I trust, respect, and love. Obviously there is no cut and dry list of friend or foe. Everyone has varying degrees of friendships with different people. I suppose that if you open your heart enough, anyone and everyone could be your friend. Maybe I've just gotten myself all worked up about this because I often feel like I have very few friends... and somehow in just 2 days of facebooking I have 50 "friends" (I certainly didn't get 50 phone calls on my birthday 2 weeks ago). I suppose that it won't hurt me to "friend" the random girl that I lived down the hall from in college.... It just all seems a little bizarre to me. But in the end, all of my "friends" (whether they be real Friends or just acquiantances) will know that I'm putting all I've got into Moon & Sundries... and that's something that I want to tell the whole world about! The funny part about all of this though is that I finally joined facebook when I found out there was an Etsy Mini Shop Application (sort of like my Etsy Mini along the left hand side of my blog) and ever since I've joined there has been some sort of kink in the App and it won't load to my Facebook Wall. I think maybe there's a secret conspiracy to drag me out from under the rock I live beneath to get me to start socializing again. Who knows, maybe I'll even make some new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment