Friday, April 10, 2009

Taxes, Blogging, and New Hearts

It's that special time of year once again... Tax season. I can't stand doing my taxes (but who can, really?). Mine are especially not fun because I never get any money back (I always owe!) and I do them by myself. Hopefully in the next year or two, I will actually make enough money to justify an accountant. But until then, I guess I'll just have to suffer through it. Unfortunately, I am a major procrastinator, which means taxes for the next week for me. yucky. Its also a bummer because I don't have any items that are ready to list in my shop... so, nothing new until next week.

In other news, I seem to be taking giant strides in my online business. I think I've actually been living under a rock until now. I previously had no idea how to drive traffic to my shop. I think it's because I've never really been an online junkie. The internet can be exciting, but I've never been one to spend hours clicking away. I'm learning that if you want to run an online business, you kind of need to have some sort of online presence. I just started going into the Etsy Forums and have discovered the 'Promotions' section. Last Saturday, I played around in 'Promotions' for 3 hours, and saw about a 10% increase in my number of overall shop hearts. It had taken me a year to build up to 94 hearts... and then 3 hours to bring it up to 104. It also resulted in a sale! And on top of all that excitement, I met a bunch of really great Etsy sellers too!

In the midst of all this promoting, I also posted to several forums about this blog. I think there may actually be some people out there that I don't know personally who are reading this now! (gosh, I am easily excitable). While promoting my blog, I got the chance to visit many other blogs that are authored by other Etsy shop owners. This was a great learning experience for me. I have to admit that I never blogged or read blogs, prior to starting this one. I kind of thought that an online journal was a silly thing. But I kept hearing that a blog was a good way to promote your shop so I decided to start one. Sometimes, I can't think about what to write about. But visiting all these other blogs has inspired me! Lots of other bloggers feature Etsy artists, run contests and promotions, post favorites from other shops, and more! The possibilities are endless! I may have more to write about than my garden and cupcakes after all! Don't worry though, I will definitely keep posting pictures of my delectable desserts!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment