Thursday, July 30, 2009

Karen's Picks :: Vol. 4 :: Nostalgia

Occasionally I will pass by an object in a storefront and will suddenly be thrust into memories from the past. It could be a toy or a photograph, or even some vintage clothing. But whatever the object may be, it creates a longing to return to a happy and comfortable place. These 'trigger' objects are quite likely to vary from person to person but the emotions they conjure up are a common thread amongst us. The theme for Karen's Picks this week is 'nostalgia', and while I can't guarantee that these items will make you nostalgic, I certainly hope that they make you smile and make you consider what things trigger feelings of nostalgia for you! Enjoy!

I LOVED to play with Lego's as a child! They could entertain me for hours! I have vivid memories of building castles with my dad and brother. These cuff links would make a colorful and playful addition to any wedding! By qacreate, $10.

The sight and sounds of Elvis take a lot of people back in time. This cross stitch pattern allows you to make your own American icon wall art! By AllStitches, $4.
My dad had an amazing antique tool collection. This collection was primarily woodworking tools but he did have some antique kitchen tools as well. My favorite was the apple peeler that not only peeled the apple, it took the core out and sliced it up! He used to bring it into my school and would ask all the kids to guess what it was before he demonstrated. I still have the one we used as kids! And I've managed to find one in the vintage section on etsy. Still new in the box! By itsjustv, $15.

Aaahh, the 80's! What a special time in our history... Funny clothes, big hair, and what now feels like archaic technology. What ever happened to your old tape collection? Mix Tape 1" Pinback Button by ButtonHead, $1.50.

I had a spirograph set as a child and a few years ago I discovered it in some boxes! Occassionally I will bust it out to make a card for a friend or to entertain younger house guests. These magnets were created in a spirograph style and they are quite fantastic! By Polymath, $12.

It's funny how much old technology can make you feel nostalgic. I guess it makes sense in this age of rapid technological advances. A gal I used to live with would type snail mail letters to her friends and loved ones on an old typewriter. She liked the feel of it and I miss the sounds of it. One of these days I'm going to find myself and old beautiful typewriter to write my own love letters on. In the meantime, there's this gorgeous photograph to transport you back in time. By oneeyeopen, $25.

My Glow Worm was my buddy as a child. I loved how it glowed in the dark! When I was searching for items of nostalgia and came accross these earrings, I let out a squeal! The faces even glow in the dark! By CharlieCarter, $9.

When we got our first dog, my brother was a wee little peanut. At the time, he had a bit of a speech impediment. When we started discussing what to name our puppy, he really wanted to name her She-Ra, as in the Princess of Power, except we kept hearing Sheba. Sheba stuck, but everytime I see She-Ra, I think of our childhood dog and my little brother. You can be the Princess of Power with these awesome earrings! By elsbells, $8.

If there is such a thing as an iconic highway, it's US Route 66. The path was laid in 1926 and was a major passageway for people seeking work and heading west throughout the dustbowl of the 1930's. Originally it was 2,448 miles long but was rerouted many times and eventually disbanded as a major highway in 1985. In some states the old highway has been designated as a scenic byway. Route 66 represents travel and new adventures. It's even been sung about by rock legends like the Rolling Stones. Hang this handmade roadsign in your living room to be reminded of adventures past, present, and future. By familyattic, $47.95.

Here's some more technology of days past. A Polaroid picture was as good as it got for instant gratification before the dawn of digital cameras. Sadly, in 2008, the Polaroid company announced that they would end production of instant film. But you don't have to say goodbye to polaroid forever... You can hang this bright print on your wall to take you back in time! By exit343design, $20.


I hope you've enjoyed these items that make me nostalgic. What does it for you?

1 comment:

  1. I have always had a thing for Elvis. I remember I took a nap so I could stay up and watch his Aloha Hawaii concert on tv. Classic:)

    ReplyDelete