Saturday, January 23, 2010

January: To Love, Or Not To Love

There are lots of reasons that I love January in New England, but there are also some things that I'm not so fond of. I like it because it's often snow-covered and beautiful. A hush falls upon the forest surrounding my home. Life slows down and allows for some mental catch-up following the madness of the holidays. Our wood stove burns away through the days and nights making our space warm and cozy. There's time to do new craft projects and play around with new ideas. Time for books and movies and board games. But what I really don't like so much is the lack of time I spend outdoors. I realized this past week that I hadn't been outside, except to walk to my car, since New Years! Unacceptable if you ask me. It's not that I'm scared of hanging out in the cold... I just don't do it as often as I should. Maybe it's the shorter days, or the process of getting prepared for the cold... I don't know. But I'd like to resolve to going out more, cold weather and all. I spoke with a friend who is living in a big city in China the other day and she reminded me that not everyone is so lucky as to have a forest to romp around in that's just out their back door. So on Thursday of this week, my brother and I took a short jaunt down my road. I snapped a few pictures and I thought I'd share them here. I hope you enjoy them! Cheers~

No comments:

Post a Comment